North Park – Completed in 2023 and Now Open
North Park Phase 1 is newly opened as of October 2023. This 21-acre swatch of land connects visitors to spectacular views of Main Creek and the adjacent William T. Davis Wildlife Refuge via divided walking and high speed paths. North Park Phase 1 is open daily from 6AM – 10PM.
Options for getting there
North Park Phase 1 has two entrances:
- Gate at Schmul Park:
- Enter North Park Phase 1 through Schmul Park. The entrance is located behind the baseball field of Schmul Park. Street Parking available near this entrance.
- Gate at 350 Wild Ave., Staten Island, NY 10314:
- Enter North Park Phase 1 at 350 Wild Ave. Parking Lot available at this entrance. Park entrance is past the Marriott.
- By car:
- From the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge: SI Expressway to Exit 5 (440-S towards Outerbridge Cr.) Take Exit 7 (Victory Blvd). Left on Victory Blvd, right on Roswell Ave, right on Wild Ave. Park entrance is past the Marriott on the left
- From points south: W Shore Expressway to Exit 7 (Victory Blvd). Right on Victory Blvd, right on Roswell Ave, right on Wild Ave. Park entrance is past the Marriott on the left.
- By public transit:
- From the St. George Ferry Terminal: Cross Bay Street to take the S62 to Travis via Victory. Get off at Victory Blvd/Glen St. Walk down East Service Rd towards the LA Fitness. Park is on the corner of East Service Rd and Wild Ave.
North Park Features
- Photovoltaic Structure: A solar shade structure at the Wild Avenue entrance powers the parking lot lighting. The system is entirely off the grid.
- Arc Path: This half-mile path includes separate lanes for biking and walking and breathtaking views of the surrounding grasslands and wetlands.
- Live Stake Planting: To prevent erosion and support native species, the slope was planted with dogwoods and willows using a method called live stake planting. Using this method, sticks removed from existing live dogwoods are placed directly into the ground where they will sprout.
- Comfort Station: This comfort station is fully self-contained. Energy for the lights and fans is provided by a photovoltaic panel on the roof, and the bathrooms contain composting toilets, saving thousands of gallons of water a year.
- Bird Tower: Visitors can enjoy breathtaking views of the wetlands from this tower, made of galvanized steel columns supporting a staircase and observation platform that rises 20 feet in the air.
- Wetland Overlook Deck: This fully accessible deck reaches the same elevation as the Bird Tower, allowing all visitors a view into the restored wetlands below.
North Park Construction Updates
+ Construction Nears Completion at North Park (2022)
+ North Park Construction Tour (2020)
+ North Park Coming Spring 2022 (2020)
+ The “Dirt” on Soil at North Park (2020)
+ North Park Construction Continues with Foundations for Signature Structures (2019)
+ Bulldozers on the Future Bike Path at North Park (2018)
+ NYC Parks and DSNY Break Ground on North Park (2017)
+ North Park is in Construction (2017)
+ North Park is in Procurement (2016)
+ Wetland Restoration at North Park (2014)
+ North Park Public Presentation PDF (2008)