The NYC Department of Parks and Recreation is transforming what was once the world’s largest landfill into a sweeping 2,200-acre park in one of the most ambitious public works projects in the history of New York City. The Freshkills Park team oversees capital construction as well as public art, science and research on reclaimed land, education and recreational programming at the park.
Employment opportunities are posted here when they are available.
You can subscribe to the newsletter to learn about future postings. Thank you for your interest.
Office Title: Freshkills Park Program Coordinator
Civil Service Title: Community Coordinator
Work Location: Freshkills Park, Staten Island*
Duration: 3 months, starting June 1, 2021
Salary: $29.61 per hour
The New York City Parks Department is transforming what was once the world’s largest landfill into a sweeping 2,200 acre park in one of the most ambitious public works projects undertaken in the city’s history. Freshkills Park combines state-of-the-art ecological restoration techniques and research on urban ecology with extraordinary settings for recreation, public art, education and scientific research. The Freshkills Park Development team is seeking a motivated and energetic candidate to deliver the park’s seasonal calendar of educational and recreational activities & events. The Program Coordinator will help coordinate and lead hiking, kayaking, photography, nature, family, and educational tours and, as an ambassador for the park, will share the City’s vision for the future at Freshkills Park. This position will also include assisting staff with digital communications and outreach initiatives. The Program Coordinator will be an outdoor enthusiast, have experience working with the public and be able to embrace challenges, take on new tasks, and work with diverse audiences to help visitors appreciate the beauty and potential of this new park.
*The Program Coordinator will report remotely to the office at 100 Gold Street as needed and will conduct program activities, in accordance with COVID protocols, at Freshkills Park, which is located in Staten Island. The park’s season of programs runs from April until mid-November, and the role includes many weekend shifts. Please note that the role entails physically challenging work (hiking, kayaking, lifting supplies and equipment).
- • Under general direction, with wide latitude for independent initiative and judgement, perform responsible work in the planning, coordination and evaluation of recreational and educational programming for Freshkills Park.
- • Organize, schedule, publicize, and lead public programs for the general public including hiking, kayaking, educational activities, photography, birding, and group/public tours.
- • Assist in organizing and conducting public/special events at Freshkills Park, as COVID restrictions permit, including race sporting events, arts events, and festivals.
- • Create and distribute promotional and educational materials about the park and upcoming events
- • Assist in development of material for blog posts/social media and other communications.
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties described above; or
2. High school graduation or equivalent and six years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties as described above; or
3. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to “1” or “2” above. However, all candidates must have at least one year of experience as described in “1” above.
1. Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
2. Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
3. Bachelor’s degree in physical science, urban planning, environmental studies or related field.
4. Proven outdoor leadership experience; physical ability to hike and kayak in challenging conditions.
5. Public event management experience.
6. Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
7. Ability to work a schedule including many evenings and weekends.
8. Valid New York State driver’s license.
Fees: Hired candidates will be subject to a processing fee of $68.00. Hired candidates who are not currently employed
by the City will be subject to an $88.25 background check fee.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information and to apply, please email resume and cover letter to Karl Vetter at Karl.Vetter@parks.nyc.gov
Learn more at www.nyc.gov/parks.
POST DATE: 4/9/2021 POST UNTIL: FILLED