Job Opportunity: Seasonal Programming Associate
The Freshkills Park Development team is seeking a motivated and energetic Seasonal Programming Associate to deliver the park’s seasonal calendar of activities & events. The Programming Associate will spend time engaging New Yorkers of all ages with hiking, kayaking, canoeing, birding, environmental education, presentations, arts events, and tours – for a one of a kind park. Freshkills Park is nearly three times the size of Central Park and has a beauty to match. The Programming Associate will be an ambassador for the park, tasked with sharing the City’s vision for the future at Freshkills Park with the world. The park itself is a message of sustainability, recycling, and ecological restoration and the Programming Associate will design and deliver programs that reflect these topics. The Programming Associate will be an outdoor enthusiast, who is able to confront challenges, take on new tasks, and work with diverse audiences to help visitors appreciate the beauty and potential of this new park. The park’s season of programs runs from Memorial Day until the end of October, and the role therefore includes many weekend shifts. Please note that the role entails physically challenging work (hiking, kayaking, lifting supplies and equipment).
- Under supervision, perform responsible work in the planning, coordination and evaluation of educational and recreational programming for Freshkills Park.
- Organize, schedule, publicize and lead tours, including hiking, kayaking, and school field trips; and record participation.
- Using existing topical lesson plans, teach classes at the park or in classrooms across the city. Build positive relationships with teachers and seek new partnerships with public and private schools in all boroughs.
- Assist in planning, organizing and supervising volunteer service projects at Freshkills Park.
- Assist in conducting special events at Freshkills Park including races, sporting events, arts events, and festivals.
- Recruit volunteers, community groups and vendors for various events or activities and direct their efforts.
- Create promotional and educational materials about the park and upcoming events.
- Ensure park facilities are in good order and maintain equipment.
- High school graduation or equivalent and three years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to duties described above; or
- Education and/or experience which is equivalent to “1” above.
- New York City residency required within 90 days of employment.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in physical science, urban planning, or environmental studies or related
- Proven outdoor education or leadership experience; physical ability to hike, kayak in challenging conditions.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite experience a plus
- Ability to work a schedule including many evenings and weekends.
- Valid New York State driver’s license.
To apply, please submit resume & cover letter via email to:
100 Gold Street, Suite 3100; New York, NY 10007