Jane’s Walk: Exploring Freshkills Park
Freshkills Park, an icon of transformation in New York City, is thrilled to be participating in Jane’s Walk in 2021. The self-guided tour below will introduce you to New York’s largest new park project in over a century and trace through the history of Fresh Kills as a wetland, a landfill, and today, an emerging public park.
Start with a look around, and keep an eye out for the Manhattan skyline in the distance. Then follow the stops below for a quick trip or an in-depth tour of Freshkills Park. We hope you enjoy your “visit”!
Stop 1: Welcome to Freshkills Park: A 1-minute overview
Stop 2: Get the lay of the land: Interactive map
Using the map:
- Clicking on the map enables you to zoom in and out by scrolling up and down
- The black line represents the Freshkills Park boundary.
- Click on a point to learn about what’s happening in the park at that location.
- Some pins have multiple pictures or videos included. When the pop-up screen appears, scroll to the bottom and click on the photo to view a library of photos or videos.
- Pins are color-coded and organized into categories. Click on the symbol in the top left corner to view these categories.
- To view a full screen version of the map in a separate window, click on the symbol in the top right corner.
Stop 3: Go in depth: StoryMaps Guided Tour
For best quality, click here to view the guided tour in fullscreen.
More to explore
- Read the Draft Master Plan: After the closure of the landfill, the Municipal Art Society (MAS) collaborated with the City of New York to sponsor an international design competition, run by the Department of City Planning. The process resulted in an illustrative park plan, known as the Draft Master Plan, designed by landscape architecture firm Field Operations.
- Take a virtual tour of the leachate treatment plant with Ted Nabavi, Director of Waste Management Engineering with DSNY
- Walk up North Mound with Eloise Hirsch, Freshkills Park Administrator
- Participate in Virtual Discovery Week
- Sign up for our newsletter and follow us on social media @freshkillspark
Thank you for visiting Freshkills Park!