The NYC Department of Parks and Recreation is transforming what was once the world’s largest landfill into a sweeping 2,200-acre park in one of the most ambitious public works projects in the history of New York City. The Freshkills Park team oversees capital construction as well as public art, science and research on reclaimed land, education and recreational programming at the park.
You can subscribe to the newsletter to learn about future postings. Thank you for your interest.
Freshkills Programs Coordinator
Job ID: 428026
Work Location: 100 Gold Street
Civil Service Title: Community Coordinator
Proposed Salary Range: $54,100 – $62,215 (Annual)
# of Positions: 2
NYC Parks is transforming what was once the world’s largest landfill into a sweeping 2,200-acre park in one of the most ambitious public works projects in the history of New York City. NYC Parks is responsible for developing the park by overseeing capital construction/park build out over the next 20+ years, and initiating and managing ongoing public access and engagement. Examples of public access and engagement including, but not limited to, passive and active recreation, environmental education and scientific research to name a few.
• Under general direction, with wide latitude for independent judgment and initiative, lead the development, implementation, coordination and evaluation of programs that provide the public with access and engagement opportunities at Freshkills Park. Examples include environmental education programs both on site and in classrooms, nature hikes, arts programming, tours, recreation and special events.
• Develop, organize, schedule and lead educational and recreational tours, programs and events at Freshkills Park and off-site at community partner facilities, schools and other venues.
• Supervise seasonal programming staff and intern program for science, art and development.
• Manage regularly scheduled events and programming and the execution of large public events, including logistics, purchasing/inventory and coordinating outside vendors and contracts.
• Assist with grant writing for public programming grants.
• Develop and deliver environmental education programs, including communications, scheduling and transportation.
• Develop and lead Freshkills Park volunteer program. Manage database of volunteers and recruit new volunteers.
• Build constituencies through partnerships with area institutions and organizations and facilitate partner programming.
• Additional duties as assigned.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties described above; or
2. High school graduation or equivalent and six years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties as described above; or
3. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to “1” or “2” above. However, all candidates must have at least one year of experience as described in “1” above.
1. Educational concentration or professional experience in planning, environmental science, art, architecture or related fields.
2. Experience in program implementation and management; supervisory experience preferred.
3. Excellent communication, interpersonal, written and organizational skills; ability to work independently and as part of a team.
4. Proven outdoor leadership experience; physical ability to hike and kayak in challenging conditions.
5. Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign.
6. Valid New York State driver license and ability to travel locally and work evenings and weekends
* Please note that the Freshkills Program Coordinator will be required to work at both 100 Gold Street in Manhattan and Freshkills Park in Staten Island.
NOTE: All resumes must be received no later than the last day of the posting period. References will be required upon request.
MOVEMENT IN THE FACE OF CIVIL SERVICE LISTS IS PROHIBITED UNDER CIVIL SERVICE LAW.
1) From a Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) from the Parks Intranet under Applications or use this link: https://hrb.nycaps.nycnet/. Once in ESS, go to Recruiting then Careers and search for Job ID# 428026. Do not access ESS using nyc.gov/ess from a Parks computer.
2) From a Non-Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) by going to nyc.gov/ess or use this link: https://a127-ess.nyc.gov/. Once in ESS, go to Recruiting then Careers and search for Job ID# 428026.
Include your ERN and Job ID# 428026 on your cover letter and resume.
All other applicants:
Go to nyc.gov/careers/search and search for Job ID# 428026.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required within 90 days of hire for all other candidates.
POSTING DATE: 01/10/2020 POST UNTIL: 02/07/2020