Work with NYC Parks
The New York City Parks Department is transforming what was once the world’s largest landfill into a sweeping 2,200-acre park in one of the most ambitious public works projects in the history of New York City. The Freshkills Park Development team oversees capital construction as well as public art, environmental education and recreational programming at the park.
Seasonal Program Associate
Duration: 6 months starting May 1, 2015
Work Location: 51 Chambers Street, NY, NY AND Freshkills Park, Staten Island, NY
The Freshkills Park Development team is seeking a motivated and energetic candidate to deliver the park’s seasonal calendar of activities & events for a 6-month term (approximately May 1-October 30, 2015). The Program Associate will spend time engaging New Yorkers of all ages with hiking, kayaking, canoeing, birding, environmental education, presentations, arts events, and tours – for a one of a kind park. Freshkills Park is nearly three times the size of Central Park and has a beauty to match. As the team develops the park and construction begins on park projects, the Program Associate will be an ambassador for the park, tasked with sharing the City’s vision for the future at Freshkills Park with the world. The park itself is a message of sustainability, recycling, and ecological restoration and the Program Associate will design and deliver programs that reflect these topics. The Program Associate will be an outdoor enthusiast, who is able to confront challenges, take on new tasks, and work with diverse audiences to help visitors appreciate the beauty and potential of this new park. The park’s season of programs runs from Memorial Day until the end of October, and the role therefore includes many weekend shifts. Please note that the role entails physically challenging work (hiking, kayaking, lifting supplies and equipment).
- Ensure park facilities are in good order, update supplies and maintain equipmentQualification Requirements
- Recruit volunteers, community groups and vendors for various events or activities and direct their efforts
- Assist in managing special events at Freshkills Park including races, sporting events, arts events, and festivals
- Create promotional and educational materials about the park, upcoming events, park wildlife, and infrastructure
- Assist in planning and organizing volunteer service projects at Freshkills Park, supervise volunteers
- Create topical lesson plans, and teach classes at the park or in classrooms across the city. Build positive relationships with teachers and seek new partnerships with public and private schools in all boroughs
- Organize, schedule, publicize and lead tours, including hiking, kayaking, and school field trips, record participation
- Reporting to the Manager for Outreach and Program Operations for Freshkills Park, perform responsible work in the planning, coordination and evaluation of education and recreational related programming for Freshkills Park
- High school graduation or equivalent and three years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to duties described above; or
- Education and/or experience which is equivalent to “1” above
- New York City residency required within 90 days of employment
- Ability to work independently and part of a team
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Bachelor’s degree in physical science, urban planning, or environmental studies or related
- Proven outdoor education or leadership experience; physical ability to hike, kayak in challenging conditions.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite experience a plus
- Ability to work a schedule including many evenings and weekends
- Valid New York State driver’s license
To apply, please submit resume and cover letter to Mariel Villere at email@example.com
The team is looking for an experienced and enthusiastic individual to create and deliver Freshkills Park programs for the public. See more about the job and how to apply. Please note: only current year-round NYC Parks employees are eligible to apply.