The New York City Department of Parks and Recreation manages 14% of the land in New York City. These assets range from playgrounds and large parks, to tranquil wooded areas and over 14 miles of beaches. Parks serve as New Yorkers’ backyards, as vital meeting areas for outdoor play and recreation —and as critical engines for economic growth and development.
The Freshkills Park Team at NYC Parks is working to transform the 2,200-acre Fresh Kills Landfill on the Arthur Kill waterfront of Staten Island into a new public park over the next 25 years. The ongoing development of Freshkills Park is one of the most ambitious public works projects in the history of New York City, using state of the art ecological restoration techniques in an extraordinary setting for recreation, public art, and environmental education. As park sections are built incrementally, the Parks Department manages state grants for capital construction and the Freshkills Park Alliance raises supplementary funds for public programming and special interim projects. In anticipation of the first interior section opening in the year 2020, the Freshkills Park Alliance is organized around capacity building and this is a fertile opportunity for interns to support realizing those goals.
The Parks Department seeks talented and qualified interns with interests in parks and the urban environment to work with the Park’s small staff in our lower Manhattan headquarters and while on site visits. The part-time internship offers an opportunity to understand the inner workings of Park programming and resource development to support exciting new initiatives including public art and scientific research at this unique site. We offer competent supervision, a supportive work environment, and interaction with core staff from different disciplines.
Freshkills Park is looking for a Development Intern to join the staff at the project’s lower Manhattan headquarters this summer.
Expected Duration: three month term, dates flexible
Hours: 14-21 hours per week (schedule by arrangement)
Salary: Unpaid; travel reimbursement; school credit depending on school requirement
Please send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
The Freshkills Park Development Intern will gain experience with research and fundraising and have the chance to support exciting new initiatives including public art and scientific research at this unique site.
In addition, the Development Intern will gain skills in:
- Messaging strategy
- Prospect research
- Grant writing
- Funding databases
Graduate students preferred but qualified undergraduates are welcome to apply.
- Work with senior staff to cultivate new sources of program support including grants and sponsorship opportunities
- Pitch and develop stories for blog and social media posts
- Assist assembly of materials for planning meetings
- Attend team meetings, interagency meetings and planning sessions
- Assist with grants database maintenance, package projects for grant proposals, prospect research to identify new opportunities
Qualifications/Special Skills/Areas of Interest:
- Knowledge of and interest in topics in art, natural sciences, environmental science, and/or waste & recycling
- Ability to work independently and execute delegated tasks as well as communicate progress in a collaborative team environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, experience writing for web desirable
- Diligent research capability and detail-oriented
- Familiarity with grant writing and non-profit fundraising, community relations and communications strategy helpful
- Graphic design skills, experience with Adobe Suite and web publishing desirable