We’re Hiring! Project Development Coordinator
The Freshkills Park development team is seeking a motivated and energetic candidate to manage, develop and deliver the educational programming for Freshkills Park and to oversee our growing volunteer program. This position requires working at both 100 Gold Street in Manhattan and Freshkills Park in Staten Island.
Salary: $50,362 – $78,177 | Work Location: 100 Gold Street, Manhattan | Hours: 9:00am-5:00pm Monday-Friday with some evenings and weekends | Job posting: NYC Parks
- Under general supervision, with latitude for independent initiative and judgment, perform responsible work in development, coordination and evaluation of education efforts for Freshkills Park.
- Lead, expand and refine school year and summer educational programs in topics such as landfill, park ecology, biodiversity, sustainable design, art, engineering and outdoor adventure lessons.
- Expand and develop the Freshkills Park education program by building on existing relationships with area schools, scheduling school presentations and tours and developing classroom and on-site curricula.
- Supervise seasonal staff in leading education programs.
- Deliver existing recreational and informational public programming and develop new public programs.
- Build and maintain a network of community partners, educational institutions, and local, regional and international constituents.
- Manage the Park’s new mobile lab education center, maintaining laboratory equipment, developing new education materials and activities for on-site mobile lab use and identifying new opportunities for the mobile lab off-site.
- Recruit volunteers to assist with science initiatives, as well as coordinate the Freshkills Park Volunteer Program, including recruitment, management and tracking.
- Track participation in park programs for yearend reports and grant reporting; develop evaluation standards for educational programming.
- Provide administrative and organizational support to the Freshkills Park offices, both Staten Island and Manhattan locations.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties described above; or
- High school graduation or equivalent and six years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties as described above; or
- Education and/or experience which is equivalent to “1” or “2” above. However, all candidates must have at least one year of experience as described in “1” above.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in education, physical science, urban planning or environmental studies.
- Proven outdoor education or leadership experience; physical ability to hike and kayak.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
- Ability to work a schedule including weekends and evenings.
- Valid New York State driver license.
How to Apply
1) From a Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) from the Parks Intranet under Applications or use this link: https://hrb.nycaps.nycnet/. Once in ESS, go to Recruiting then Careers and search for Job ID# 339948. Do not access ESS using nyc.gov/ess from a Parks computer.
Parks & City Employees:
2) From a Non-Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) by going to nyc.gov/ess or use this link: https://a127-ess.nyc.gov/. Once in ESS, go to Recruiting then Careers and search for Job ID# 339948. Include your ERN and Job ID# 339948 on your cover letter and resume.
All other applicants:
Click here to apply: Project Development Coordinator for Freshkills Park OR
Go to nyc.gov/careers/search and search for Job ID# 339948.